Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Sunday Box

I loved all of the wonderfully creative suggestions for a successful Sunday Box and I have implemented almost all of them. Thank you! Thank you! In the end, I sacrificed a cabinet instead of a box. We now have a "Sunday Cabinet".

Some asked for a final report, so here it is. If it seems overly detailed, it is so that I may use it for my own reference later. The library is my bosom friend.

To start, I ran around the house and gathered many items that I already had.

Sunday Movies
First, I pulled all of our churchy movies off of shelves and out of boxes. The movies include:
Work and the Glory,
The Forgotten Carols
Praise to the Man,
The Testaments of One Fold and One Shepherd,
Christmas Oranges,
The Other Side of Heaven,
Stories of Christmas,
and Johnny Lingo.
Any of the Liken the Scripture movies or The Living Scripture animated series; checked out from the library

We may have to replace Legacy and Mountain of the Lord. I can't seem to find them at the moment; I think we only had them in VHS format and gave them away before the move. There are some other DVDs that interest me, most of which I can find at our local library. Some of these look interesting as well, perhaps as the children grow.

Games
Some of the games I chose are gospel related; others are just small and relatively quiet:
Book of Mormon Go Fish
Who Said? Book of Mormon Match Game
Our long-time favorite: Aye, Aye, Nephi (Thanks, Heather!)
Blink
Uno
SkipBo
Dominoes

Games I'd Like To Add Someday
It Came To Pass

Books
I haven't been buying as many books in recent years, as my love affair with the library has flourished. Nevertheless, I do have a few great ones in the box, as well as a large selection I can choose from the library as needed. The following list includes both:
How Does the Holy Ghost Make Me Feel?
The Parable of the Chocolate Chips
My Wedding Day
Any of the "My First" books.
Christmas books at Christmas time
Max Lucado books

Books I haven't read yet
White Shirts
An embarrassment of riches in the file folder department
Puzzles
Old Friend Magazines
Activities from Primary Partner's CD's
Coloring materials
Writing materials

**Suggestions for additions are very very welcome** It doesn't have to be available at Deseret Book or the LDS distribution center. I'm a sucker for any kind of family-oriented, feel-goody kind of movie or game, whether it's specifically gospel-related or not.

I dare say we may be having more fun on Sundays than any other day of the week. Wanna come party with us?

4 comments:

Ben and Anna said...

Have you tried Veggie Tales movies? They are my sunday life savers. and I very much enjoy them, too :)

Heather Vincent said...

My sister gave me the BEST idea for fun puzzles for little kids. Each Sunday, she asks her little boy's teacher to make an extra copy of their color page. She collected them for a couple months, once she had a few, she started gluing the paper to a cereal box and making a puzzle out of it. She would put it back together, taping the back of it and lets her little boy color on it, then pulls the tape off and pulls it apart. Jacob LOVES it!!! He loves that he has "colored and made my own Jesus puzzle!".

I started doing it with Hunter and Paizlei, and they both LOVE it too.

Just a thought!!!

Emily said...

Other movies the kids like:

Called to Serve (they think all the 70's hair is so funny)

On The Way Home

The Last Leaf

Out of the Mouth of Babes

Have you seen the new scripture story dvds? I think they came out last year... they are at the distribution center with all four books in one set. It is just the same pictures as the picture scriptures and they read the story to you picture by picture. Probably not as exciting as the Living Scripture animated series....

terrah said...

What a treasure trove of ideas! I'm definitely bookmarking this page! Maybe someday I'll get ambitious and put together a cabinet of my own :).