I went to the grocery store today to pick up a few things. In the meat section, I looked up and realized there were two adorable little children in a cart next to me, a boy and a girl looking about the same age, around 2. I asked the mom "are they twins?" She smiled and said yes. I smiled at them and said, "they are super cute" and turned to go.
I was so proud of myself! I didn't walk in the other direction! I didn't ignore them! My heart didn't race, my face didn't flush, my stomach kept all its contents! I felt so liberated that I reached way into the back of my cold black heart and sensed no jealousy whatsoever! I thought, "Yay! I'm back!"
Then...
Just as I was turning away from our very brief but satisfying encounter, she rolled her eyes, sighed heavily, and said, "Yeah, and they're a LOT of work."
Heart still racing.
Face still flushed.
Nausea fleeting and manageable.
I tried. Maybe next time I won't try quite so hard.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
You're doing way better than me. I would have avoided looking. Or stared. And if she had said that to me, I would have given her some choice words.
Good for you!! Maybe next time it will be a little easier...or maybe not but your right you tried!!
You did try and I think that's great. I'm sure it is very difficult for you to see twins and it will probably be difficult for you to see twins for some time. I think as long as you try and you know you try, that's all that matters. Remember though, you have your amazingly adorably Crew at home with you that you can hold and love and look in his eyes. You are doing remarkably well considering all you have endured this last year. You are much stronger than I. Keep your head high. Loves and sunshine!
Thanks for the reminder.
I'm proud of you. You didn't punch her. I would have, just out of principle.
Wow, sorry, that's hard. But great job, you did it!
I am glad you didn't physically maim her...but, (and I do know how double sided this comment is, and I hope you will take it as it's inteded) remember that you, too will have your two together.
To walk a mile in someone else's shoes.....
You just never know what someone is going through. I am glad you tried and for a moment felt warmth in your heart. I only wish she (and i at times) remembered to treasure each moment with Gods gifts to us.
I will check out that book you suggested.
You know, there is something kinda nice about her comment. It breaks my heart to hear comments like that, but I try to remember that taking something for granted is a really nice thing sometimes.
Too bad she couldn't have said that with a smile on her face, and laughter in her voice... We all know it's true, but really?
Post a Comment